Ticks and Fleas


Although some pet owners consider ticks and mosquitoes as pests and a nuisance, they can both be very harmful to your pet if not treated effectively and quickly. Ticks and mosquitoes do not just bite and cause red bumps that make  pets itchy, they also can transmit dangerous diseases like malaria, heartworms, West Nile Virus, and Lyme disease. Be proactive in your effort to protect your pet, especially around this time of the year. 


Fleas and ticks can be nestled in hiding places inside and out without you ever knowing it. See below for some of their more common hideouts:

On other pets and animals
Around shrubbery and bushes in your backyard where other infested animals frequent

In addition, developing stages of fleas may be lurking out of sight:

In carpets, floors and sofas of your home, it is important to protect your pets and home.  The best product that we have found for our pets is just Brewers yeast and garlic,  my pets have never had a flea problem, would recommend spraying yard every few months just to keep them away as well,  Click on link below for great deals on Brewers Yeast and garlic tablets

Danger of chocolate for dogs:


The sweet treat can lead to illness and even death in dogs. Vets say it’s one of the most common causes of dog poisoning.


If you think your pooch might've eaten chocolate -- especially the darker kinds -- call your vet right away.


​A chocolate chip cookie can cause problems for a little dog, and a bag of chocolate chips can spell trouble for a big one.


Your Dog Ate Chocolate. Now What?

Typically, your dog will vomit on his own. If not, your vet might want you to give him hydrogen peroxide to make him throw up -- 1 tablespoon for every 20 pounds. . You can use a turkey baster or a medicine dropper to give him the liquid.

Some pet owners use peanut butter in a bowl and  put the hydrogen peroxide around the rim, dogs tend to lick the bowl clean. Once your dog vomits, don’t give him any food or water.

If you think your dog ate chocolate, don't wait for warning signs,  These can take 6 to 12 hours to show up. Symptoms include:

Extreme thirst
Diarrhea
Too much energy
Pacing
Panting
Shaking
Seizures

The stimulants in chocolate stay in the body a long time. In severe cases, symptoms can last up to 72 hours.   Remember, with any poisoning, it’s always cheaper, less invasive, and has a better prognosis/outcome if you treat early. Once your dog has already developed clinical signs and is affected by the poison, it makes for a much more expensive veterinary visit!



Keeping your dog on a leash and well supervised when outdoors should be sufficient to prevent bufo toad toxicity. We suggest you carry a flashlight at night, so that if the dog seems overly curious about something you can check it out. These toads don't actually attack, but a curious dog sniffing or licking the toad can get poisoned as a result.

Bufo Toads

If any of you live in Florida, you know how dangerous these toads can be to your pets! We found out the hard way, several times, that there is really not much you can do if your pet comes in contact with one of these. About the only thing that works is immediately getting a cloth or paper towel and wiping the mouth and gums to get the filmy stuff out of their mouth, it also helps to keep them as cool as possible as this venom tends to make them very hot and causes a rapid heart beat. Its very scary to see your pets go through this, but we where told by our vet that there really is not much else you can do, sometimes they can give them fluids to help flush it out, but other then that you just have to wait. The only hope is if you catch it early enough and rinse their mouth and gums, you can usually prevent a disaster. We know longer let our dogs out alone in the yard at night or early mornings , as these toads like that time and are especially attracted to water.


Description
The
bufo toad (Bufo marinus) (also known as marine toad , giant toad, cane toad) is a huge brown to grayish-brown toad with a creamy yellow belly and deeply-pitted parotoid glands extending down the back. Adult giant toads generally range in size from 6 to 9in (15 to 23cm), but may get larger. They are replacing the native southern toad (Bufo terrestris) in the cities of southern Florida, When confronted by a predator, they are able to shot Bufo toxin from the glans on there back, which is a white viscous venom, in a pets mouth you can tell they have by the slimy feeling on their gums and the will be licking the chops repeatedly. That's when you know to start whipping the mouth and gums with a damp cloth and rinsing the mouth as best as you can, be very careful not to flush mouth with hose as water can get into lungs and cause other problems. These toads can also cause skin irritation in people.

Other Inside and Outside Pet Dangers


Antifreeze  has a sweet taste that attracts animals but is deadly if consumed in even small quantities; one teaspoon can kill a seven-pound cat. Pet owners should use a safe antifreeze in their vehicles. Look for antifreeze that contains propylene glycol, which is safe for animals if ingested in small amounts. Ethylene glycol can also be found in common household products like snow globes, so be sure to keep these things out the reach of animals. 


Cocoa mulch contains ingredients that can be deadly to pets if ingested. This Mulch, has a chocolate scent that is appetizing to some animals.


Chemicals used on lawns and gardens, such as fertilizer and plant food, can be easily accessible and fatal to a pet allowed in the yard unsupervised.


De-icing salts used to melt snow and ice are paw irritants that can be poisonous if licked off. Paws should be washed and dried as soon as the animal comes in from the snow. 


Cans and garbage can pose a danger when cats or smaller dogs attempt to lick food from a disposed can, sometimes getting their head caught inside the can. 


Traps and poisons Pest control companies frequently use glue traps, live traps and poisons to kill rodents. Even if you would never use such methods to eliminate rodents, your neighbor might. Dogs and cats can be poisoned if they eat a rodent who has been killed by poison.

Threats inside the house

Cedar and other soft wood shavings, including pine, emit fumes that may be dangerous to small mammals like hamsters and gerbils.


Insect control products, such as the insecticides used in many over-the-counter flea and tick remedies, may be toxic to companion animals. Prescription flea and tick control products are much safer and more effective. Pet owners should never use any product without first consulting a veterinarian. 


Human medications, such as pain killers (including aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen), cold medicines, anti-cancer drugs, anti-depressants, vitamins and diet pills can all be toxic to animals. Keep medicine containers and tubes of ointments and creams away from pets;


Poisonous household plants, including azalea, dieffenbachia (dumb cane), lilies, mistletoe and philodendron. 


String, yarn, rubber bands and even dental floss are easy to swallow and can cause intestinal blockages or strangulation.


Toys with movable parts—like squeaky toys or stuffed animals with plastic eyes—can pose a choking hazard to animals. 


Rawhide dog chews may be contaminated with Salmonella, which can infect pets and humans who come in contact with the chews. This kind of treat should be offered to a pet only with supervision, as they can pose a choking hazard as well.


Holiday decorations and lights pose a risk to cats and dogs. Keep these items out of the reach of animals, and, if possible, confine your pet to an undecorated area while you are out of the home.


Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, cats and ferrets. 


Fumes from nonstick cooking surfaces and self-cleaning ovens can be deadly to birds. Always be cautious when using any pump or aerosol spray around birds.


Leftovers, such as chicken bones, might shatter and choke a cat or dog. Human foods to keep away from pets include onions and onion powder; alcoholic beverages; yeast dough; coffee grounds and beans; salt; macadamia nuts; tomato, potato and rhubarb leaves and stems; avocados (toxic to birds, mice, rabbits, horses, cattle and dairy goats); grapes; and anything with mold growing on it.